NATIONAL COCONUT TORTE DAY
National Coconut Torte Day on March 13th recognizes a rich dessert featuring the decadent flavor of coconut and decorated with it, too! Coconut lovers may enjoy this holiday savoring the delicious taste of this rich dessert.
The word torte is German and literally means cake. Torte refers to both a multi-layered cake filled with buttercream, jam, or cream and to a rich, moist and dense single-layered cake. A torte may be made with little to no flour, but instead with ground nuts or breadcrumbs, as well as sugar, eggs, and flavorings.
Did you know that a coconut tree can grow to be as tall as ninety feet?
Coconuts were available in the United States in the early 1700s even though the palm was not indigenous to the continental United States. There are many recipes using coconut, including cakes, cookies, and tortes from that era, so it was certainly as popular an ingredient as it is today.
Coconut is rich in fiber, Vitamin B6, iron, and minerals like magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, and zinc. The oil from coconut moisturizes our skin and also helps keep our skin clear and hair silky, too.
Of course, in the kitchen, we love coconut! Beyond baked goods, coconut infuses sweet flavor to our cooking, and because the MCTs in coconut oil don’t absorb in the body as fat, it is an ideal alternative to other oils and fats.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL COCONUT TORTE DAY
- Bake up your favorite coconut torte recipes.
- Stop by the bakery and pick up the best they have to offer.
- Share with friends and family. That’s also part of the fun when you Celebrate Every Day!
- Try this delicious Ghiradelli Coconut Almond Torte with Chocolate Chips recipe.
- If you visit your local bakery, be sure to give them a shout-out, too! We know they will appreciate the business.
- Use #NationalCoconutTorteDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL COCONUT TORTE DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues to research the origins of this dessert holiday.
Q. Is a torte a cake?
A. Yes. Literally, the German word torte means cake.
Q. Can coconut tortes be served with ice cream?
A. Yes! This type of cake goes well with ice cream.